Monday, March 18, 2013

Anywhere in the world

Tonight I had an interesting discussion with some of my kitchen mates (I live in a student housing where I share a kitchen with other students). The question was asked: If you could be from any place in the world, what would it be?

Some countries got mentioned but when the turn came to me I didn't hesitate. Unlike the others I said I wouldn't change a thing, Iceland it is. The reason is simply that despite having lived in four other countries nothing comes close to beating home, even though I've really enjoyed my time in all of the places I've been. 

There's just something about it. The nature is truly one of a kind and I'll be the first to admit that I didn't appreciate its true beauty until I spent time away from it all. Only then was the first time that I saw the uniqueness about it.



Not only is the nature beautiful but you can also really grasp the power of it. That power is something that I haven't felt to as much extent in most other places. Maybe the emotional connection I have towards the country enhances that sense of natural power.  However I think the most deciding factor for me is the fact that you only needs to take a short walk outside of town to see clear examples of nature's power, such as lava rocks or strong ocean waves. 

That's how near the nature is. The nature is there, it's constantly present and constantly reminding you of itself, whether it's through stormy weather, northern lights or volcanic ashes settling down on your windowsill. 



Of course nobody's perfect, Iceland still has issues that need to be addressed whether they are economic, political or social.  When taken into a larger perspective these issues however become minor and to me mostly serve as a reminder of the privilege of being born in a safe and healthy environment.

The nature, the location, the size of the population, the language, the culture, the history. In my view all these things create some sort of quirkiness that makes it a privilege to be able to say this is where I'm from. To me this quirkiness gets confirmed in the reaction of almost every single person who asks me where I'm from. The reactions describe some fascination with a country that is so close but still so far away.






I'm a lucky one for being able to call this place my home and hopefully it won't be too long until I get to visit it again.

xx

No comments: