Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Back from Poland


We visited Auschwitz while in Poland as it is located very close to Krakow. 

The trip was emotionally draining with some areas particularly hard to visit. Having been mentally and physically exhausted after only a one day excursion, I find it impossible to even imagine how some prisoners survived years at the camp. 

However, I am glad that I went there. As uncomfortable it is to visit, the site is a pressing reminder of  the importance of never repeating the mistakes of the past, and of the importance of upholding a society based on equality, love and respect.

Before arriving I was sure I would take quite a lot of pictures but once you're there and see the devastating surroundings and read testimonies of the horrible treatment of camp prisoners, intense photography just doesn't seem right. Here are the few pictures I took.
(clicking on the photos will increase the resolution)

A part of the "Arbeit macht frei" sign at the Auschwitz I entrance.

These suitcases were among the property of camp prisoners plundered by the Nazis.  Each suitcase was carefully marked by the owner, who never got to retrieve the luggage.

Fences at Auschwitz I

Brick barracks at Auschwitz-Birkenau

Flowers at the end of the railway inside Auschwitz-Birkenau. The "Gate of Death" can be seen in the background.

A rose laying on one of the bunks inside a wooden barrack at Auschitwz-Birkenau.

Now, apart from this depressing visit, our trip to Poland was great. Krakow is such a beautiful and lively city with so many interesting things to do and see. 

I promise there will be some more uplifting posts from the trip in the next days.

xx
E

No comments: